I can’t believe that September is tomorrow! I work at an elementary school so September means back to work and with that comes some serious germ interaction. Being in a school environment means washing my hands ten times more often than I did before and unfortunately, not all soaps are created equal. Some store-bought soaps can include anything from sulphates to microbeads and even formaldehyde (yikes)! One of the things that first piqued my interest in essential oils was when one of my coworkers started DIYing bars of soap, and with Simply Earth’s September Essential Oil Recipe Box, I was given the chance to make my own!
Simply Earth aims to provide high quality essential oils at affordable prices and with their recipe box subscription service, it’s an even better deal! In addition to four specially selected oils, each box contains recipe cards and the items necessary to create homemade essential oil products! I have really enjoyed these creations and my slowly growing collection of oils. If you’re interested in checking out any of my previous #eorecipebox posts, they’re available HERE!
The oils included in September’s box are:
- Cajeput: Cajeput has been used as a remedy for countless ailments and conditions including the common cold, headaches, toothaches, sore muscles, fever and even skin diseases for many years. ($9.99 USD)
- Bay (Laurel Leaf): The laurel leaf is known for its symbolism as the victor’s wreath that crowned men in ancient Greece and Rome. This essential oil works great for mental well being as it is an uplifting and energizing oil that can also promote confidence. ($11.99 USD)
- Lemongrass: Lemongrass can be found in traditional Indian medicine, used to treat infectious illnesses and fevers. The essential oil is used in aromatherapy because of its countless benefits to mental well-being. ($7.99 USD)
- Happy Joy: Feeling down in the dumps? Need something to brighten your mood? Happy Joy Essential Oil Blend is bound to make your day better! The fresh and sunny scent provides a refreshing aroma that can be used in a variety of ways. This synergy will provide a boost of energy and a breath of fresh air to bring you happy and joyful feelings. ($9.99 USD)
(Descriptions are from Simply Earth’s website)
The extras are:
- Soap Mold.
- Aloe Glycerin Soap Base.
- Stickers (for labelling!).
Each monthly box has a theme or a style of product, and September’s is all natural, homemade soap! The aloe glycerin soap base is ideal for people with sensitive skin because it is effective but still gentle.
One of the soap recipes is “Happy Joy Facial Soap” using the Happy Joy blend. This has to be my favourite smelling essential oil blend that I’ve received from Simply Earth – it’s the perfect mix of floral with a touch of citrus!
The first step is to melt 3 tbsp of the soap base using a double boiler. Check out this really professional set-up I have going on:
After the soap is melted, remove it from the heat and add six drops of the Happy Joy blend. You can also add lemon zest if you wish (one teaspoon is listed on the recipe) but I decided not to.
Pour the completed mixture into the soap mold and let it cool. I put mine in the fridge to speed things up!
I love how these can be easily customized and make a unique, usable gift!
The Simply Earth Recipe Box is a great introduction to the world of essential oils. Not only do you receive four different oils each month, but you also get the materials needed for a unique project. Personally, I have found that this significantly decreases the overwhelm I felt when initially researching essential oils, and now feel more confident using them in different projects.
In addition to helping create a more natural home, Simply Earth’s goal is to combat human trafficking by donating 13% of their proceeds to organizations such as Exodus Cry, to whom the September box is dedicated to.
Subscribing to Simply Earth’s Essential Oil Recipe Box costs $39 USD per month (approximately $53 CAD), and each box has a value of over $100. American customers get free shipping for each box and Canadian shipping is an additional $9.99.
Using my handy dandy code (EHDREEAHNAHFREE) when you order your first box will get you a $40 USD gift card to use towards a future box or any other products available on their website!
Disclaimer: I received the Simply Earth September Recipe Box at no cost in exchange for an honest review. I was given no monetary compensation to write this post but have been an assigned an affiliate link. If you choose to click any (like THIS ONE) I will receive store credit only if the visit results in a purchase. If you have any questions regarding my experience with SE, please let me know and I’ll be happy to answer them as best as I can!
Thanks so much for reading my post!